I hope you enjoyed my last post about aromatherapy, that went through the basics in general like background, benefits and uses.
Today’s post is about essential oils, and their benefits and uses. So many to choose from!
First off, what are essential oils?
“A natural oil typically obtained by distillation and having the characteristic fragrance of the plant or other source from which it is extracted”
Below I will go into the different essential oils you can get and their specific benefits. Basically, a cheat sheet to look at when deciding what oil you need for that symptom or looking up what the oil actually helps with. That reminds me…I need to restock.
I am no way an expert, just someone learning all about this world. I put together what I know along with research I did so you guys can have a handy, quick and easy guide!
**Make sure to read on how to apply and use the essential oils. Some should not be applied directly to the skin and rather through a diffuser. I have my research sources below if you want more details and information.
Essential Oil | Benefits
- Use to treat stress, depression, anxiety, anorexia, and infections.
- Can stimulate the liver, digestive system and spleen.
- Calming agent
- Alleviate stress and anxiety
- Spiritual lift
- Helps in respiratory problems and skin issues
- Antibiotic, antiseptic, antidepressant
- Mood lifter.
- Battle inflammation
- Powerful scent from Eucalyptus tree
- Helps respiratory issues
- Antiseptic, antispasmodic, decongestant, diuretic and stimulant.
- Fight migraines and fevers
- Muscle aches and pains
- Ease depression
- Ease childbirth
- Respiratory problems
- Reducing tension
- Stress relief
- Helps with Cold, Flu and Migraine
- Antiseptic, antidepressant, anti-inflammatory decongestant, deodorant, diuretic and sedative
- Clean smell
- Improves concentration
- Aids in digestion
- Eases symptoms of acne
- Skin irritation
- Circulation problems
- Immunity booster
- Reduce cellulite
- Alleviate headaches and fever
- Mood enhancer
- Tea Tree
- Boost the immune system
- Fight infections
- Heal skin conditions
- Burns and Cuts
- Soothe and treat cold sores
- Respiratory conditions
- Muscle aches
- Athletes foot
- Alleviate chest pain
- Tension relief
- Hydration aid for the skin
- Mental stimulant
- Natural lift
- Memory booster
- Enhance memory
- Relieve congestion
- Sinus issues
- Stiff, aching muscles
- Skin issues
- Hair growth
- Enhanced memory, focus and overall brain performance
- Digestive and liver
- Digestion issues
- Heart problems
- Respiratory conditions like asthma
- Good for your skin
- Cooling, refreshing effect
- Enhance mental alertness
- Natural energy-boosting properties
- Cooling agent
- Enhances mood
- Sharpens focus
- Combats irritation and redness
- Alleviates symptoms of congestion
- Aids in digestion
- Skin care agent
- Promotes skin cell growth
- Relieve anxiety
- Reduce cellulite and bloating
What essential oil should I use for a specific mood?
I also decided to group the essential oils to overall moods so it can be even more useful for a quick look!
Stress Relief: Bergamot, Sage, Geranium, Grapefruit, Jasmine, Lavender, Mandarin, Patchouli, Chamomile, Rose, Sandalwood
Depression: Bergamot, Sage, Grapefruit, Jasmine, Lavender, Lemon, Mandarin, Orange, Rose, Chamomile, Orange, Sandalwood
Anxiety: Bergamot, Cedarwood, Sage, Geranium, Lavender, Mandarin, Patchouli, Chamomile, Rose, Sandalwood
Fear: Bergamot, Cedarwood, Sage, Grapefruit, Jasmine, Lemon, Orange, Chamomile, Sandalwood
Happiness: Bergamot, Geranium, Grapefruit, Lemon, Orange, Rose, Sandalwood
Concentration/Focus: Basil, Black Pepper, Cypress, Lemon, Peppermint, Rosemary
Loneliness: Bergamot, Sage, Chamomile, Rose
Anger: Bergamot, Jasmine, Orange, Patchoulo, Rose, Chamomile
Fatigue/Exhaustion: Basil, Bergamot, Black Pepper, Sage, Cypress, Ginger, Grapefruit, Jasmine, Lemon, Patchouli, Peppermint, Rosemary, Sandalwood
Irritability: Lavender, Mandarin, Chamomile, Sandalwood
Confidence: Bergamot, Cypress, Grapefruit, Jasmine, Orange, Rosemary
What are your favorite essential oils and how do you use them?
Research from: WebMD, Organic Facts, Swanson Vitamins, Aroma Web, Aromatherapy.Com