After a long and busy day at work, sometimes the best thing you need is a bowl of quinoa or a bar of chocolate..but to each their own.
Quinoa, if you didn’t know, is a good substitute for rice or pasta. It’s a gluten free grain that is high in protein and potassium. It can come in a range of colors; white, red and black.
Here is a quick and easy recipe for Quinoa:
- 1 Cup quinoa
- 2 Cups water
- Veggies of your choosing (I chose 1/2 a tomato and 1/4 onion)
- Seasonings (I chose salt, pepper, paprika, garlic, cumin and basil)
- 1/4 cup of tomato sauce
- Pour the water and quinoa into pot on the stove
- Turn the heat on high
- Add the chopped veggies, tomato sauce and seasonings
- Once the water starts boiling, put the lid on and cook on low for 15 minutes
- After 15 minutes, turn off the heat, but leave the lid on.
- Leave the lid on for 15 minutes.
- Then, uncover the pot and fluff the quinoa with a fork.
You can make this dish your own by switching out the veggies/sauces/seasonings! I have made a curry inspired quinoa, a Mediterranean style, a Mexican and just a Veggie galore quinoa. Do you have any favorite ways to jazz up quinoa?