I used to buy whatever I wanted and all my favorites when I went grocery shopping.
I would have all my favorites but I would never finish it all before everything went bad and I had to go grocery shopping again.
It’s basically when you go shopping on an empty stomach, or when you don’t bring a grocery list and go through every aisle.
Yeah, I’ve done those two as well!
I finally decided to meal prep; I was pretty hesitant probably due to the fact that I didn’t think I was decisive enough to plan what I was going to eat ahead of time. But it’s actually super nice, saves money and time, and you can plan accordingly.
I give you my meal prep tips, please share yours below! Would love to read them. 🙂
- Figure out how many meals you’ll actually need. The worst thing is going through this effort and realizing you don’t have enough of one item or you forgot food for lunches as well. Take into account how many people/servings as well as if you need meals for lunch and dinner.
- If you’re going to meal prep for lunch- decide if you want to use the same meals for dinner, or if you want them to be different.
- You’ll also need to decide how many meals for that week to rotate through. It’s up to you! I have a friend who does the one meal for lunch and dinner all week. I usually do 2-3 meals for lunch and dinner for that week.
- Once you decide on your servings and meals, you can now select a couple meals and jot down what you need to make them. It’s helpful to make meals that use some of the same ingredients. For example, making tacos and chili in the same week or a potato curry and a stuffed potato.
- Get enough food containers so you can pack each meal in one on Sunday for the week. Then, it’s super easy to grab and go and not worry about packing a lunch the night before.
- Set up a couple hours on Sunday to get all your meals in order- at least the ones for lunch for the week.
- Don’t forget a snack- it’s easy to come up with 1-2 for the week. That way, you’re not buying bananas, granola bars, yogurt, string cheese, apples, etc for a different snack every day. Instead, buy bananas for this week’s snack and maybe next week’s it can be almond butter packets.
Hope you enjoyed this!
I was thinking of having some meal prep ideas, recipes and grocery shopping finds. Let me know if you would like to see that.
Until next time,